Tuesday 27 August 2013

Herbes de Provence



Found this little clay tub in my kitchen recently.Once upon a time  ..I actually paid money for this herb mix. If I had known how simple it was to make ....It's just equal amounts of dried and crushed stuff from the pantry or garden.
Rosemary ,bay, lavender, thyme,savory, and a touch of clove.
I always add chive and tarragon to mine as well.Yummy and cheap.I think the clay pot has got to be part of the cost.
In a perfect world  you would grow and dry your own herbs.You would harvest them into a handwoven wicker basket.They would be dried upside down in fetching little bundles in your olde-style kitchen.( I am guilty of this sentimental behavior) If that's not possible just buy them.  Also, much has been said about fresh vs dried .I prefer fresh rosemary for poultry and  I love the intensity of dried oregano for omelettes.Use them any old way you see fit.The important thing is to cook , and enjoy it. A  glass of red helps on those days it feels more like a chore and less like a creative process. Happy cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment